Friday, September 8, 2017

When God Closes the Door to Your Writing by Denise Weimer

Denise Weimer
Have you ever experienced times when opportunities and creativity for writing felt out of reach? Have you been frustrated? Did you wonder why God wasnt making a way? Author Denise Weimer has been there, and she shares her thoughts and experiences. ~ Dawn

When God Closes 
the Door to Your Writing

Every writer dreads the moment the words dry up. We read articles and employ tricks to get the inspiration flowing again. But today I don’t want to talk about writer’s block. I want to talk about periods in our lives as writers when God closes the door completely on our ability to apply our craft.

“But wait,” you say. “I’ve always known my inspiration to write comes from God. Why would He close the door on that?”

During several periods in my own life, I’ve offered that same argument. But no matter what I did to jump start my writing career, an unseen spiritual wall kept me from moving forward. Did I misunderstand something? Did I do something wrong?

The truth is, we may be right on track for our development as both a person and a writer. God’s plan often includes what may appear to be blank spaces or waiting times, when in fact He’s working the most. Allow me to share several instances where this may be true.


The Need

During the time my two daughters were small, something strange happened. That driving force to write that had been my constant companion since age eleven disappeared. I mean, totally. I tried to find it, because I hardly recognized myself without it … but to no avail. God knew that the demanding task master of writing would crowd out the tender attention I needed to lavish on my babies. When my younger daughter went to preschool, the desire to pick up the pen stirred again. Soon after, I produced my first published novella.

Since then, I’ve seen author friends struggle to write while taking care of an ailing spouse or elderly parents. When someone needs you more than your readers, it may be time to ask God if He wants you to take a break from writing. If the answer is yes, give yourself permission for your ministry to another to fill in your blank space.


The Altar

After a year of searching, I found a publisher for my Georgia Gold Series. I also accepted an editing position. But the start-up operation failed just as my first book released, resulting in an embarrassing and painful debacle. I was back to square one, but with a strike against me.

If we cling too tightly to our identity as a writer and our own timing for our careers, God may allow circumstances that require us to put those things on the altar. My publishing failure forced me to ask God if I needed redirection. Seven published books later, this year I also accepted an editing position with a thriving Christian publisher.


The Trial

Other times, God may allow a trial in our lives to break us. Doesn’t sound good, does it? While we’re in the trial, it doesn’t feel good, either. But wheat must be cracked open to germinate. And the vine in rocky soil produces the most grapes. Do we really want to remain static, shallow Christians? Or do we want to allow God to apply the pressure necessary to change us at elemental levels so that we better resemble Him and possess the maturity and experience to relate the message He gives us? Work with Him, and you will come out of your dark night of the soul a completely different writer. A much stronger one.




Modern romantic suspense with back 
stories from three different centuries. 


Denise Weimer holds a journalism degree with a minor in history from Asbury University. A former magazine writer, she is the author of romantic novella REDEEMING GRACE, The Georgia Gold Series (SAUTEE SHADOWS, THE GRAY DIVIDE, THE CRIMSON BLOOM, and BRIGHT AS GOLD - winner of the 2015 John Esten Cooke Award for outstanding Southern literature) and The Restoration Trilogy (WHITE, WIDOW and WITCH). ACROSS THREE AUTUMNS, Denise’s Colonial novella in the Backcountry Brides Collection, debuts with Barbour Publishing in May 2018. Denise is a wife and swim mom of two daughters who always pauses for old houses, coffee and chocolate!

Learn more and connect with Denise online here: